Sunday 19 October 2014

Chapel in the Woods

When I posted my blog about the small chapel at Bayvil back in August, Andrew Wilson-Dickson told me about a ruined chapel he had discovered whilst taking a detour from the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path near St Dogmaels, near Cardigan. The idea of the church suggested many new ideas that I could use as part of the Creative Wales Award I’m currently working on, so I set off to find the church.



I initially I started walking the south along the coastal path from Poppit Sands, encountering some alarming notices …



… and the usual fellow travellers …



As well as other abandoned and discarded artifacts


The chapel belonged to the community of Cippyn, which is so small that it isn’t even signposted. Eventually, after walking along a bridal path for half a mile or so, the roof of a building came in sight.



The chapel is surrounded by woodland and fields




Some of its windows are broken and the entrance is overgrown with brambles, but the building has not been vandalised: 



Inside the original communion table is still in place


Someone has recently left a little plastic bottle with flowers in a little niche in the wall


It’s difficult to know how long the church has been abandoned, but there was still a newspaper scattered around the floor dating back thirty years: 



I left armed with lots of information, ready to move on to the next stage ... watch this space! 

More pictures of the deserted chapel near Cippyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment